The Drip Store's retrofit systems can be used to convert an existing sprinkler head to a drip system without altering the flow or other capabilities of the original design. The retrofit drip heads are available in 12 outlets, and can be used with individual plants or groups of plants as part of any irrigation system. Retrofit drip heads or manifolds are designed to adapt any 1/2" riser to a drip irrigation system. They may be incorporated into a new system, or used to convert an existing sprinkler to a 12-outlet drip system.
Retrofitting conventional sprinkler systems to low flow water saving drip systems requires a few simple steps that include evaluation of the areas to be watered and selection of the best method to water. The most suitable uses for retrofit drip systems are for shrubs, trees, roses, or individual plants that can be irrigated more efficiently using this system.
Retrofitting a conventional sprinkler riser to a water-saving drip irrigation system requires a few simple steps:
Step 1: Use the 12-Outlet PC Drip Manifolds in an area where the plants are close to the sprinkler riser you are replacing. We recommend using shorter lengths of micro tubing, not exceeding 6 to 8 feet from the riser, to allow for easy maintenance. Make sure that the output of the manifold is sufficient to cover the plants in the area close to the sprinkler riser. Our suggestion is to use a minimum of two outlets per plant. Use model D059 (.6 GPH) or D071 (1 GPH) with small sized plants and model D072 (2.2 GPH) or model D073 (3.3 GPH) with larger plants.
1. Remove the sprinkler from the riser.
2. Turn the water on to flush the line and then shut off the water supply
3. Thread the 12-Outlet PC Drip Manifold onto the riser.
4. Remove the manifold cover and remove the mini disc filter. The 12 outlets with the nozzles can be seen. Make sure that the entry to the nozzles are kept clean.
5. From the manifold outlets extend two measured length of 1/8 inch micro-tubing to each plant selected to have drip irrigation outlets (model # T018 for 50' , T019 for 100' and model # T043 for 500' vinyl) and insert the micro tubing end into one of the 12 outlet ports.
6. Secure the end of the micro tubing with the stake (model # S003) and to the end of the micro tubing insert the bug plug to protect the outlet from bugs (model D074).
Note: If used with ¼” micro tubing, to the outlet port insert a ¼ inch converter barb (model D062, D063 or D064) by pressing the round part of the barb into one of the twelve outlet ports. To the barb connect ¼ inch micro tubing and lay the micro tubing to the plant are.
To install a drip emitter nozzle, remove the cover, then the filter and insert the drip emitter with the 0-ring into one of the twelve open cavities. Make sure that the grooved area on the cone shaped nozzle and the 0-ring are facing upward. The four color-coded nozzles with different flow rates can be combined in the same TOP head.
To install a micro sprayer, insert a converter barb to one of the twelve open cavities. Into the barb connect a ¼ inch micro tubing and at the end of the micro tubing insert a micro sprayer or micro sprinkler of your choice.